Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Quiet Greatness

My Grandpa is still with us, though we doubt he will be for much longer. The doctors say it's just a matter of time. I'm so very thankful for the precious visits I had with him this weekend, and I'm so thankful for the chance I had to say good bye.

My Dad will be giving Grandpa's eulogy at the funeral. As the family came in to visit Grandpa this weekend, Dad asked each one to send him comments about things they remember about Grandpa. As a result, my cousin Jeff sent the following e-mail to Dad.

I don't know how anyone could possibly say it better.

The most I can remember of Grandpa isn't specific stories. I remember the type of person he was. He was the kind of person that was always calm and centered. It was that consistancy that allowed him to affect those around him. You could see what he left in people. He didn't say "Do as I say", nor did he have to. Who he was spoke louder than he could speak. Through who he was you would learn more than a few thing. Through his actions he could tell you "You don't need to beg, you can earn", "You don't need to say 'I can't', because I could always find a way", "You don't need to feel anger or hatred, because I can find the good in all people." I know we'll all miss him greatly, but he's left a little of himself with each of us. He's left us memories, values, and shaped who we've become in a variety of ways. He's touched each of us in his own way, and each a little differently. However, every way has lead us closer to the best of who we could be. We'll eventually pass his lessons, his values, his memories to those that come after us. Even though he'll be gone from this world, he'll still be a part of us. Jeff
Grandpa...you are so loved by so many. As for me, I don't know how a girl could love her Grandpa more. Leaving the nursing home for the last time was so very hard. Thanks for touching my face, for telling me your memory of our walk in the woods & for telling me how much you love me. Thank you for living in a way that leaves me no doubt of the fact that I'll see you again. Oh Grandpa...my heart aches, yetI don't want to hold you back. You would never be so selfish, and I can't be that way either. I told you at the nursing home that you could go on home if you needed to, and I meant it. Each night I find myself praying that Jesus will just take you. I know his timing is perfect and I'm just thankful that you aren't suffering and that you are at such peace.
I don't really know how to end this. Do I say goodbye? Do I say I love you? I don't know. I feel right now the way I did when it was time to leave the nursing home. Wanting to find the exact words...stalling to leave.
I guess Heaven is all the conclusion I need.

No comments: