Sunday, June 03, 2007

Eldine

Rev. Landis died this past week. He died in way that has become all too familiar for this family, and not in a way that you would expect for a 76 year old man. You would have thought it would have been something like his heart. Instead, he was struck by a van while riding his motorcycle/scooter.

When I read the words in the paper...I thought they were lying. My mind couldn't comprehend it. I ached for his family, his church, his widowed daughter-in-law on a mission trip in the Ukraine trying to get home in time for the funeral, and his grandchildren who have now lost two heros in their lifetime.

Today as I lay in bed trying to take a Sunday nap, I ached especially for his wife Ruth. Eldine died 3 days before their 54th wedding anniversary. Tomorrow, she will celebrate without him. How quickly things can change. I wondered what their last words were together. After 54 years, they probably weren't spoken hastily and angrily over the lack of recent help with dishes. My mind drifted to what if it was me. Oh how I would hurt. My heart would break. It's too painful to imagine. Suddenly the dishes didn't seem so important. I had an overwhelming need to reach out and touch my sleeping husband. I did, so thankful for his warmth. One gentle hand...one strong arm...one simple act...one bed not lonely. I don't deserve such wealth.

Ruth...I'm praying for you tonight...especially for the moment when you reach out to touch.

http://www.chronicletribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070603/OBITUARIES/706030331/1023

No comments: